15 Interesting Ideas For High School Research Paper Topics
When you’re asked to write a research paper in high school, one of the most stressful things about the assignment isn’t the research or actually writing it: it’s picking a topic! What makes a good research paper topic, and how do you know that you’re topic will get you a good grade? The first thing you should consider is how interesting the topic is. Does it intrigue you? Is it modern, or have implications about the modern world? Do you want to learn more about it, and do you think your teacher would be interested? These are all important questions to ask: a well-researched, impeccably written paper might still get lost in the shuffle if the topic itself is boring. You can bet that if you find something interesting, your teacher will, too! Plus, it’s a lot more fun to read and write about something that you actually care about; your curiosity will inspire you to go above and beyond and really wow your reader! Here are some interesting research paper topics to help you get started.
- How does Google work, and why is it so much more popular than other search engines?
- What was the Dyatlov Pass Incident, and what theories best explain it?
- Are hybrid cars the answer to global warming and oil shortages? What about electric cars?
- How did the Cold War create the uneasy truce that currently exists between the United States and Russia?
- Does vaccinating your child really put them at risk for autism? What are the risks of not vaccinating?
- Why are people from Norway and Sweden so much happier than other parts of the world?
- Do smartphones make people happier? Is there such a thing as being too connected?
- How did Indira Gandhi become India’s first female prime minister? Why was she assassinated?
- What banking policies were most responsible for the Great Recession? Have those policies been changed?
- Why did the Dust Bowl occur? Is it possible that Americans could experience something similar in the coming years?
- How did the Rosetta Stone help linguists decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics?
- What is the Higgs boson particle, and why is it important? How was it discovered?
- How did Darwin come up with his theory of evolution? Is there enough proof of evolution to consider it any more than a theory?
- What effect did the Kent State shootings in 1970 affect the American public and their view of the military and police?
- Did Occupy Wall Street accomplish anything? Why did it fall apart?